Sriman Kedarnath Dutta’s Govt. Service records

By editor - 18.1 2018

Sriman Kedarnath Dutta’s (Bhaktivinoda Thakur) Govt. Service records from 1866 – 1896


Last page of the employment record book of Sriman Kedar Nath Dutta with various signatures.

.

Original hand-written employment record sheet of Sriman Kedar Nath Dutta. 5th July 1866. Krishnanagar.

Sriman Kedarnath Dutta, later known as Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur (1834-1914), belonged to the kayastha community of Bengali intellectual gentry that lived during the Bengal Renaissance and attempted to revive key strands of Hindu tradition and practice. In his youth he spent much time researching and comparing various religious and philosophical systems, both Indian and Western, with a view of finding among them a comprehensive, authentic and intellectually satisfying path. He tackled the task of reconciling Western reason and tradition by exploring religion in its phenomenal and transcendent aspects, thus accommodating both modern critical analysis and the core tenets of Vaishnavism in his writings. KedarnathDutta’s spiritual quest led him at the age of 29 to become a dedicated follower of Caitanya Mahaprabhu (1486–1533). He applied himself to a deep study and committed practice of the teachings of the Chaitanya school, soon emerging as a reputed leader within the Caitanya Vaishnava movement of Bengal.

On 5th of July, 1866, Sriman Kedarnath Dutta was appointed, by the British Raj, in the Judicial Services, from which he retired in 1896 as District Magistrate.

The entire journey of his employment history was recorded in hand-written documents and preserved at the ‘Directorate of State Archives of West Bengal’. One of the BRC’s important mission has been locating, acquiring, preserving and digitizing all his work, so, when we received information regarding these records lying at the Archives, our manuscript mission team reached the Directorate of State Archives of West Bengal, located in Kolkata.

On 28th and 29th of November, 2017, BRC Archivists were able to gain access with the necessary permissions and took digital pictures of the entire collection. They, then, bought those valuable pictures back to the BRC and archived them. Today, BRC proudly houses and displays this rare collection for all its esteemed supporters, visitors and students to view.